City hall on tap, revisionist history, best pickup hockey game? And other Blackhawks balls
Tonight’s Blackhawks-Wild game is starting to look a bit like an afterthought. Chicago has lost six of its last seven games, including two against the Wild not too long ago. Preceding tonight’s game is the organization’s “Town Hall” event, which will shed light on GM’s search and direction for the team going forward. This is the first time Rocky and Danny Wirtz have answered real questions since the Kyle Beach and “John Doe 2” sexual assault investigations began against the Blackhawks.
• There’s a lot to discuss and answer for the Blackhawks outside of GM’s current search, that’s for sure.
The Blackhawks Town Hall event is much bigger than just finding GMhttps://t.co/spLRGkdcDO
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) February 1, 2022
• I don’t know exactly what I’m trying to hear, nor do I know if something that can be noted will make the last few months feel different. These are stocks. What Shares are taken by the organization to make the changes they want to make. That’s what I’m going to focus on.
• Regarding the GM research, we may never know exactly who will be interviewed, but I have a few ideas who should be interviewed.
Here’s who I’d interview for GM if I ran the Blackhawkshttps://t.co/dONFQBiGNm pic.twitter.com/4tn2MVgbeN
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) February 2, 2022
• Although the consensus seems to be that Kyle Davidson will simply retire his interim tag, I still think an outside hire should be the way to go if the team really wants (needs) a new prospect on the roster and the future of the club. But again, making a change a month and a half after the trade deadline has its drawbacks.
• If you’ve watched the Blackhawks this season, your eyes will tell you that this team is not a playoff contender. But if those same eyes had looked at the team on paper in September, you and many others would have thought they were. You would have been right both times.
We had spoken to scouts before the Blackhawks season. Now that more than half of the season is over,@MarkLazerusand came back to them to get their updated thoughts on the team and specific players. https://t.co/2PblWin5mB
— Scott Powers (@ByScottPowers) February 2, 2022
• One of my favorite things on social media right now is seeing all these people saying things like, ‘I knew this team wasn’t good in August!’ Oh yes? You and who else? From what I remember this summer, there was a big vocal section of Blackhawks fans and people outside the organization who thought this team would be so much better than it has been. Revisionist History is a course in which we can all get an “A”. Unless you’ve been cynical about the Blackhawks for the sake of being cynical about the Blackhawks, this team has been a surprising disappointment.
• And Marc Crawford is fed up…
Marc Crawford launched a tirade on the Blackhawks in today’s practice, fed up with their continued mistakes with the forecheck.
New story breaking down exactly what happened today and what those errors are: https://t.co/MbQnIhZyDu
— Ben Pope (@BenPopeCST) February 1, 2022
• One would think that with so many players playing a “checking” role in the lineup, there would be more effective forechecking from the attacking group.
• News on the Blackhawks ending broadcast as Eddie Olczyk will join NBC’s Olympic hockey coverage and replacement voice Chris Vosters will play per game, also on the Olympic broadcast team.
— Jeff Agrest (@jeffreya22) February 2, 2022
• Thanks also to Leila Rahimi of 670 The Score who will also be part of NBC’s Olympic broadcast team.
• And congratulations to all the women in sport today on National Day of Girls and Women in Sport! It’s more than a day, honestly, it’s a 24/7-365 recognition that the hockey world and the sports world in general, whether it’s performing, broadcasting, reporting, front office, coaching, etc., is a space where all women belong.
• News from the IceHogs as Michal Teply, who recently experienced a hot streak, is now in COVID protocol.
— Mario Tirabassi (@Mario_Tirabassi) February 2, 2022
• Among other prospects, 2020 second-round pick Drew Commesso was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for the second month in a row!
Drew Commesso will head to Beijing as the reigning Hockey East Goaltender of the Month! This is the second month in a row that Drew has won this honor! pic.twitter.com/63v6U8hWC0
— BU Men’s Hockey (@TerrierHockey) February 2, 2022
• Commesso is going to Beijing with the United States team to take part in the men’s Olympic tournament starting next week! Hey, count me excited about this kid.
• The women’s tournament begins tomorrow as Team USA take on Finland. Here’s a first look at the women’s team in the new Olympic jerseys for the United States
— American Hockey (@usahockey) February 2, 2022
• It’s an incredible story about former MLB and NHL players who gather on Justin Morneau’s incredibly professional-style outdoor rink for your occasional hockey games in Minnesota.
On Wednesdays, former AL MVP Justin Morneau hosts a hockey game in his backyard with his buddies.
— Athletics (@TheAthletic) February 2, 2022
• Hidden in this video is a photo of former Blackhawks big man Dustin Byfuglien, who looks to be enjoying his retirement from hockey.
Ladies and gentlemen, Dustin Byfuglien. https://t.co/yIVXXGTZl4 pic.twitter.com/m7wVAL7PNQ
— Mario Tirabassi (@Mario_Tirabassi) February 2, 2022
• “Big Buff” indeed.
• We mentioned a few days ago that the NHL Reverse Retros would be back next season. This was a really cool preview of last season’s Chicago design release, coming from Craig Shimala:
This is still one of my favorite creations over the past year. Drop a @nhlblackhawks jersey on a frozen Chicago River. I’m also always surprised that no one stops and asks me what I was doing. I was so nervous. pic.twitter.com/L3bodu5mgM
— Craig Shimala (@cshimala) February 2, 2022
• It’s just awesome.
• An update on MLB lockdown…
Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today, which means another six weeks of lockdown. pic.twitter.com/QA2Zy2lQJS
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) February 2, 2022
• Plus, if you missed that story in the NFL yesterday, all I can say is that this feels like the ultimate, “I got the receipts” moment…
Former Miami head coach Brian Flores sues NFL and Giants after receiving accidental texts from Bill Belichick https://t.co/zwqDeG5qGF
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) February 1, 2022
• Good for Flores. I hope he ends up becoming the owner of Giants after this.
• That will suffice for today. See you tonight for City Hall and Blackhawks-Wild at 8:30 CT (seriously?)