Field hockey scores four goals in season-opening win over RPI
Hamilton College Tracey Stafford ’23 scored two goals and the Continentals earned a 4-1 non-conference victory over the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers at Goodfriend Field in Hamilton on Tuesday night.
Hamilton were playing their opener of the 2022 season as RPI fell to 1-2 on aggregate.
How did it happen
- Hannah Dillon ’24 slapped a shot that was stopped by the goalie and took control of the rebound. Dillon rolled and sent the ball towards the cage a few feet to the right of the penalty stroke spot. Stafford, who was positioned next to the goalkeeper, tipped the ball past the goalkeeper’s feet 4:16 into the first quarter.
- Delaney Grace ’25 inserted the ball on a penalty corner to Dillon, who was standing a few yards to the right of the top of the shooting area. Dillon took a forward dribble and hammered a shot into the back of the cage with 6:50 left in the first.
- Neither team has scored yet, with 4:53 left in the third quarter. Maura Holden ’23 stuffed the loose ball into the cage after a shot from Alana King ’24 was stopped, and the Continentals led 3-0.
- Rachel Banister ruined Hamilton’s shutout offer with 9:52 left in the fourth quarter when she swept a backhand shot from just feet above the penalty stroke spot.
- Stafford took the win with a fantastic individual effort just 68 seconds later. She carried the ball into the shooting zone on the right side, maneuvered past two defenders along the baseline and fired a shot into the back of the cage.
- During his first academic year, Abby Griffin ’26 only needed to make one save – early in the third quarter – for the Continentals.
- Stafford recorded his second multi-goal game in Hamilton. She has 27 career points on 12 goals and three assists.
- Dillon posted a career-high three points with his goal and assist.
- Holden leads all active Continentals with 14 career goals and 33 career points.
- Jen Richardson made nine saves for the engineers.
- Hamilton took advantage of a 15-3 advantage on shots and a 5-4 advantage in penalty corners.
- The Continentals lead the all-time series 19-12. They have won five in a row against RPI and nine of the last 10 meetings.
- Hamilton received votes in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association’s Division III preseason poll.
- Engineers head coach Bre Lowe was an assistant coach at Hamilton from 2016 to 2019.
Hamilton travels to Trinity College, ranked No. 5 nationally, for his first NESCAC match this year on Saturday, September 10. Start time is set at 11 a.m.