Saint-Marc field hockey scores shaken by previously undefeated Wilmington charter: photo gallery

Catherine Kaminski (left) gave Saint-Marc a 3-0 lead with a goal in the third quarter. Dialogue Photo / Mike Lang

CITY OF MOULIN – The Saint-Marc field hockey team spent most of the afternoon of October 18 in their own defensive wing, doing their best to obstruct the passing and shooting lanes of the Charter School of Wilmington. Offensively, the Spartans took advantage of the opportunities they had, scoring three times from the penalty spot in a 3-0 victory.

It was the first loss of the season for the Force, who had allowed just five goals in their first 10 games. They scored one overtime victory and another when they scored the game-winning goal with less than two minutes left in regulation. But on Monday, they couldn’t resolve the Spartans’ defense.

It didn’t take long for the Spartans to get on the board. Lindsay Sawyer beat Charter goaltender Autumn Shahan on a corner, while Katie Hanich got the assist with 9:26 left in the first period. Hanich also assisted on the second goal, this time fueling Riley Fleetwood at 4:11 of the second quarter.

Saint-Marc played the last 1:48 of the first half shorthanded after two players were sent off for not giving the Force five yards of space during restarts after the referees gave multiple warnings . They were able to spend these two minutes without any damage.

La Force came out attacking in the third quarter, spending almost all of the 15 minutes in the half of Saint-Marc. The Spartans were shorthanded again for the final five minutes of the quarter after another penalty, and Charter had two penalty corner opportunities during that time. But it was the Spartans who struck.

The home team got a corner at the end of the quarter. Sawyer sent a shot towards the goal, and with players from both teams taking shots at the ball, Catherine Kaminsky grabbed one and sent a high shot into the cage with no more time on the clock.

It was all Charter in the fourth quarter, but they couldn’t beat goaltender Abigail McIlvain. She made a big save on a shot from a Force penalty corner with about four and a half minutes to go, and less than a minute later she repelled a shot with her blocker. Its defenders have also had their sticks on a number of Force attempts.

The match ended on an unhappy note with 19 seconds on the clock. A clearance shot from a Saint-Marc player hit one of his opponents in the mouth. As coaches tended to the injured player, parents started arguing about the game and whether it was intentional. After listening to the comings and goings for a minute, the referees declared the game over.

Shot totals were not available Monday night, but the Force held a 20-5 lead over penalty corners. McIlvain was credited with four saves and Saint-Marc recorded his seventh shutout of the season. The Spartans (8-4) are on leave until October 26, when they will host Padua at 3:45 p.m.

Shahan made two saves for the Force, which is now 10-1. They head to Conrad on Wednesday at 3:45 p.m.

All photos by Mike Lang.

Catherine J. Martinez