Vitek Vanecek shuts out Arizona in absurdly boring hockey game: Capitals beat Coyotes 2-0
From Friday night to Saturday morning, the Washington Capitals looked to end their long road trip well by beating the terrible Arizona Coyotes. With a win for Washington, the Coyotes would be one streak in 10 straight games.
Conor Sheary fended off a loose puck to give the Caps a lead. We had nothing in second. Empty Net by John Carlson. Bleaching of Vitek Vanecek.
The Capitals beat the Coyotes 2-0!
- It felt like the Caps had the puck for the entire first period, but they didn’t do anything with it. Some stages, like their single in-frame power play, felt like they were moving in slow motion. A terrible thing to happen to a tired recaptor.
- I must salute the Italian contingent present during this match because I am one myself. We had a Carcone, we had a Capobianco and we had a Vitelli in the net. Yes oh, fuhgeddaboudit. Insert your own Italian hands emojis here.
- At the start of the game, I was just sitting there listening to Joe B call the names of Coyotes players and thinking what a career graveyard Arizona is right now. Phil Kessel, Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, Antoine Roussel, Alex Galchenyuk, Jay Beagle, Anton Stralman and Shayne Gostisbehere to name a few.
The real work starts tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/Nck5x01GDw
— Ryan Ellis (@ryanellisracing) April 23, 2022
- It felt like the Caps once again had the puck for the entire second period, but made next to nothing with it. It was a very bad game not to be able to score goals because it’s like infinity.
- Garnet Hathaway had a base disallowed due to a high stick and although Joe B and Locker thought the call was incorrect, I strictly disagree with the written word of the rule which includes deviations by any player or official. Do I think that exact type of scenario is a little questionable as to whether it shouldn’t remain a goal? Yeah.
- Want to know the song I listened to on repeat to stay engaged in this game? This sick remix of Endor’s “Pump It Up”.
- Conor Sheary scored his 18th goal of the season, which was also his 40th point. Sheary is the Caps’ fifth-leading scorer as the crafty forward continues to prove general manager Brian MacLellan was right to sign him for an extension a year ago.
— Arizona Coyotes (@ArizonaCoyotes) April 23, 2022
- A game that was already supposed to start late just based on time zones… featured a pre-game ceremony that made it start even later. And then we had anything for sixty minutes. It should be illegal.
- The power play really sucked. They seemed to prefer to do more than score goals.
- Vitek Vanecek with his fourth shutout of the season and sixth of his career.
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) April 23, 2022
The Caps will now head home to hopefully get revenge on the Toronto Maple Leafs after Toronto crushed them 7-3 eight days ago. Auston Matthews is still looking for 59 and 60 goals this season.
Screenshot via NBC Sports Washington